Ouch! 3 Tips For Treating Your Pet's Bee Stings

Posted on: 2 September 2015

If your pets spend any time outside, chances are they're going to be stung by a bee at some point. When they are, they're going to be in a lot of discomfort. In most cases, you won't need to take them to the veterinarian—unless they show signs of anaphylactic shock, such as difficulty breathing, and swelling of the mouth or tongue. If your pet is not showing signs of anaphylactic shock, here are steps to treating a simple bee sting.

Locate and Remove the Stinger

Bee stingers keep pumping venom into the site even after the bee is dead. If your pet has been stung, you need to locate the stinger and remove it as soon as possible. Use your fingers to carefully separate the fur until you find the stinger.

Using the edge of a credit card or a nail file to gently scrape the stinger out of the skin. Pick the stinger up with a pair of tweezers and throw it away. Try not to sweep on to onto the ground. Someone may accidentally step on it.

Ice the Area

Even after the stinger is removed, the area is going to be tender. There may also be some mild to moderate swelling. Applying cold water to the affected area will help relieve the pain and reduce the swelling. Soak a washcloth in cold water.

Wring out a small portion of the excess water and place the cloth directly over the sting. Place an icepack over the cloth and hold it in place for about 15 minutes. Repeat the process several times a day until the pain and swelling subsides.

Apply Baking Soda

If the bee sting is in an area that will be difficult to apply ice to, you can make a baking soda paste to relieve the pain and swelling. Combine 2 teaspoons of baking soda and enough water to form a firm paste. Use a cotton swab to apply the paste directly over the sting. Leave the paste in place and reapply it several times a day. This paste works well on areas such as ears, paws and noses.

You never know when your pets are going to get stung by a bee. Keep these simple instructions on hand so you'll be prepared when it happens. If your pet shows signs of anaphylactic shock, take them to a veterinarian (like those at North Lexington Veterinary Clinic) as soon as possible, especially if they're having a difficult time breathing. 


Keeping Your Pets Healthy

After I started staying home full time instead of working, I realized that my pets weren't as healthy as I thought they were. They basically laid around the house all day, and I started growing increasingly concerned about their well-being. I wanted to know more about their health, so I visited a veterinarian in my area. He gave me a few really good tips on reducing their caloric intake and encouraging exercise. Now, I can say that my dogs are truly healthy and energetic. This blog is all about keeping your pets healthy so that you can continue to enjoy their company.